HUBBARD EXEMPTED VILLAGE SCHOOL DISTRICT
JANUARY 2, 2020
1. Approved Rocky Adams for President of the Board for Calendar Year 2020.
2. Approved Donald Newell for Vice-President of the Board for Calendar Year 2020.
Approved the 2020 regular meetings of the Hubbard Board of Education be held on the dates listed below at 7:00 p.m.; and that these meetings be held in the Board Room, 108 Orchard Ave., Hubbard, Ohio unless otherwise noted below, pursuant to ORC 3313.15.
Monday, January 27th
Monday February 24th
Monday March 23rd
Monday April 27th
Tuesday May 26th
Monday June 27th
Monday July 27th
Monday August 24th
Monday September 28th
Monday October 26th
Monday November 23rd
Monday December 21st
4. Approved that all of the following items which appear in this portion of the agenda constitute the consent calendar and are hereby adopted by this one single motion; provided, however, that should any item included within this motion be declared by a court of competent jurisdiction to be void or illegal, all remaining items within this motion shall remain in full force and effect notwithstanding the status of the voided item.
A. Robert’s Rules of Order
To adopt Robert’s Rules of Order, Newly Revised, as the parliamentary procedure guidelines for meetings of the Board and of its committees.
B. Reaffirm Policies
To reaffirm that all Board policies in effect at the date of this meeting are continued in full force and effect unless modified by subsequent action of the Board, pursuant to ORC 3301-35-02 and 3301-35-03.
C. Permit Payment of Purchases
To dispense with the adoption of individual, separate, monthly, or regular resolutions authorizing the purchase or sale of property (except real estate), the payment of debts or claims, and the salaries of the Superintendent, teachers or other employees; or approving warrants for the payment of any claim from school funds when provisions therefore are made in the annual appropriations resolution, pursuant to ORC 3313.18.
5. Authorized the Treasurer, with the approval of the President of the Board to borrow necessary money, including borrowing between funds on a temporary basis, prior to the next regularly scheduled Board meeting, pursuant to the provisions of law.
6. Authorized the Treasurer to request public depositories to substitute securities on a continuing basis, pursuant to ORC Chapter 135.
7. Authorized the Superintendent and Treasurer to utilize the services of the Trumbull County Prosecutor as legal counsel to the Board, and to designate the law firms of Ennis Britton Co., LPA, Gingo & Bair Law, LLC, and Peters, Kalail & Markakis Co., LPA, as legal counsel to the Board, pursuant to Board Policy, and to enter into an agreement with the Ohio School Board Association for Legal Assistance Fund service from January 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020, at a cost of $250.00, pursuant to ORC 3313.171; and to authorize the Superintendent and Treasurer to secure necessary legal assistance as conditions require, pursuant to ORC 309.10, 3313.35 and 3313.18.
8. Approved to waive the reading of the minutes of the Board, as authorized and governed by ORC 3313.26.
9. Approved to grant the Superintendent or designee authority to file applications for all projects considered desirable for the Hubbard Exempted Village School District.
10. Authorized the Superintendent, on behalf of the Board, to accept resignations which have been submitted by employees during times when this Board is not in session, subject to the ratification by this Board; provided, however, that upon ratification by this Board, such resignations shall be deemed effective as of the date and time of the Superintendent’s acceptance.
11. Authorized the Superintendent, during periods when this Board is not in session, to make offers of employment directly to candidates for either teaching or nonteaching positions on behalf of this Board, and to acknowledge acceptance of such offers on behalf of this Board, subject to a subsequent vote of ratification by this Board; provided however, that upon ratification by this Board, the employment shall be deemed effective as of the date and time of the employee’s acceptance of the Superintendent’s offer.
12. Approved to permit the Board Members, Superintendent and Treasurer to attend necessary local, state, and national meetings within available appropriations, pursuant to ORC 3313.18.
13. Approved that the Board shall continue membership in the Ohio School Boards Association for Calendar year 2020.
14. Approved that the Board shall approve transportation contracts pursuant to ORC 3327.1 and 3327.02 (A).
15. Approved that the Hubbard Schools designates The Warren Tribune and The Youngstown Vindicator as the newspapers of record.
16. Approved that the Hubbard Exempted Village School District will continue Interdistrict Open Enrollment (Statewide) as per Board Policy.
17. Approved that the Hubbard Board of Education appoints the Superintendent to serve as the Board’s Hearing Officer in suspensions for bus misconduct, student code violation, and student attendance appeals.
18. Approved the Hubbard Exempted Village School District’s Alternative Tax Budget as required by the Trumbull County Auditor for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2020.
19. Authorized the Treasurer of the Hubbard Exempted Village School District to request the County Auditor to advance taxes from the proceeds of the tax levies to meet current expenses, as needed, from the period of January 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020, pursuant to RC 321.34.
20. Authorized the Treasurer to pay all bills within limits of the appropriations as bills are received and when the merchandise has been received in good condition. (ORC 3313.29)
21. Authorized the Treasurer to request transfers, if needed within funds, and to request a change in total appropriations due to increase or decrease in funds.
22. Authorized the Treasurer to invest interim funds not needed to meet current expenditures at the most productive interest rate, pursuant to RC 135.14 and RC 135.142.
23. Authorized the Treasurer to donate or dispose of old and outdated library, workbooks, or textbooks, as needed, from the period of January 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020.
24. Authorized the Treasurer, as Board of Education designee, to attend required public records training approved by the Ohio Attorney General.
25. Authorized the Superintendent for calendar year 2020 (ORC 3313.470):
A. To serve as Purchasing Agent.
B. To serve as Administrative Agent for State & Federal Programs, Title I, Title IIA, IDEA-B, Title III, Title IV, Title IX.
C. To approve attendance of employees, within appropriations, at professional meetings which lend to the improvement of educational programs (ORC 3313.20)
D. To represent the district at county, state and national meetings as the Board representative.
Raymond W. Soloman